Date of the Spring Festival
The Spring Festival, or the Chinese Lunar New Year, is the biggest and most important holiday in China. It starts from the first day of the year calculated according to lunar calendar, It may fall any day between late January and the middle of February of the solar calendar.
Almost everyone in the city will take at least three days off to celebrate it. In the countryside, the festival lasts longer. The Spring festival ends when the Lantern festival comes.
What would people do in Spring Festival
- On the eve of the festival, people will paste couplets at their doors’ sides.
- Family members will unite, no matter how far away from each other, they will come together.
- On the eve of the festival, family would watch special TV shows until the next day. The ceremony show on CCTV channel one special for the festival is the most popular one.
- People eat a lot. There would be lots of different delicious foods. People like to treat friends, relatives with deliberately made meal. Dumplines are indispensable for northerners, southerners like to eat Nian Gao.
- People play a lot. Kids like to set off firecrackers, play games etc; Adults like to play poker, Majiang etc.
- People would exchange gifts, visit each other and greet each other. This special greeting in Spring Festival is also called Bainian. Hongbao is popular, especially when children pay the senior a visit and make new year’s greeting. Hongbao is also called “money for an added age”, it is simply a red packet or envelope with money inside.